• Fairly heavy rainfall is predicted for Central, Northern, Sabaragamuwa and Western provinces and Galle and Matara districts during 3rd - 7th September.
• Fairly heavy rains were experienced in the Southern, Central, Sabaragamuwa & Western provinces with max of 86 mm in Matara district on 1st September.
• From 24th- 30th August: up to 15 m/s from Southwesterly were experienced over the island.
• Sea surface temperature was observed above 0.5℃ to the West of Sri Lanka and neutral to the East.
NOAA NCEP models:
From 1st – 7st September:
Total rainfall by Provinces
- 65 mm - Sabaragamuwa, Western
- 55 mm - Central, Northern, Southern
- 45 mm - Uva
- 35 mm - Eastern
- 25 mm - North Central, North Western
From 8th – 14th September:
Total rainfall by Provinces:
- 45 mm - Sabaragamuwa
- 35 mm - Central, Western, Southern
- 25 mm - Uva, Northern
- 15 mm - Eastern
MJO based OLR predictions:
For the next 15 days:
MJO shall be active thus, slightly enhanced rainfall during 3rd – 15th September.
Ocean State (Text Courtesy IRI)
Pacific Sea Sate: August 25, 2021
Equatorial SSTs were below average in parts of the eastern Pacific Ocean and near average across the rest of the Pacific Ocean in late-August and most key atmospheric variables were ENSO –Neutral condition. A large majority of the model forecasts predict ENSO-neutral likely to continue through the Northern Hemisphere summer.
Indian Sea Sate
Sea surface temperature was observed above 0.5℃ to the West of Sri Lanka and neutral to the East.