• Fairly heavy rainfalls are predicted in Western, Sabaragamuwa & Central provinces during 18th - 24th August.
• Very heavy rainfalls were experienced in the Central province with max of 152.9 mm in Kandy district on 12th August.
• From 10th- 16th August: up to 10-15 km/h Westerly & South westerly winds were experienced over the island
• Sea surface temperature was observed above 0.5℃ around all of Sri Lanka.
NOAA NCEP models:
From 18th – 24th August:
Total rainfall by Provinces
- 65 mm - Western, Sabaragamuwa
- 55 mm - Central
- 45 mm - Uva, Eastern, Northern, Southern
- 35 mm - North Central
- 25 mm - North Western
From 25th – 31st August:
Total rainfall by Provinces:
- 65 mm - Sabaragamuwa, Western
- 45 mm - Southern, Central
- 35 mm - Northern, Uva
- 25 mm - Eastern
- 15 mm - North Central, North Western
MJO based OLR predictions:
For the next 15 days:
MJO shall be active thus, slightly enhanced rainfall during 17th – 31st August.
Ocean State (Text Courtesy IRI)
Pacific Sea Sate: August 11, 2021
Equatorial SSTs were below average in parts of the eastern Pacific Ocean and near average across the rest of the Pacific Ocean in mid-August and most key atmospheric variables were ENSO –Neutral condition. A large majority of the model forecasts predict ENSO-neutral likely to continue through the Northern Hemisphere summer.
Indian Sea Sate
Sea surface temperature was observed above 0.5℃ around all of Sri Lanka.