• Fairly heavy rainfalls are predicted in Central, Sabaragamuwa, Southern & Western provinces during 27th - 31st August
• Heavy rainfalls were experienced in the Northern & North Central provinces with max of 142.5 mm in Mullaitivu district on 22nd August
• From 17th- 23rd August: up to 10 km/h from the South westerly were experienced over the island.
• Sea surface temperature was observed above 0.5℃ around all of Sri Lanka.
NOAA NCEP models:
From 25th – 31st August:
Total rainfall by Provinces
- 95 mm - Sabaragamuwa, Western
- 85 mm - Southern
- 75 mm - Central
- 65 mm - Uva
- 55 mm - North Western
- 45 mm - Eastern
- 35 mm - Northern
- 25 mm - North Central
From 1st – 7st September:
Total rainfall by Provinces:
- 65 mm - Sabaragamuwa
- 55 mm - Southern, Western
- 45 mm - Central
- 35 mm - Northern, Uva
- 25 mm - Eastern, North Western
- 15 mm - North Central
MJO based OLR predictions:
For the next 15 days:
MJO shall be active thus, slightly enhanced rainfall during 25th August – 8th September.
Ocean State (Text Courtesy IRI)
Pacific Sea Sate: August 18, 2021
Equatorial SSTs were below average in parts of the eastern Pacific Ocean and near average across the rest of the Pacific Ocean in mid-August and most key atmospheric variables were ENSO –Neutral condition. A large majority of the model forecasts predict ENSO-neutral likely to continue through the Northern Hemisphere summer.
Indian Sea Sate
Sea surface temperature was observed above 0.5℃ around all of Sri Lanka.